Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Beautiful goal! Oh, no, wait…

(En español más abajo)
 
canadaThough I like to score goals (who doesn’t!) I have always felt comfortable playing in defence. Particularly, as a left or right back; I’m a lefty, but I’m mostly ambidextrous for everything, including soccer; don’t ask me if I’m good, though!.
 
One of my favourite Argentine soccer players from the 80’s was a short, hard working defender named Jorge Gordillo, who played for soccer ‘big guy’ River Plate for most of his career (I remember a stint in San Lorenzo as well). I watched his very first game on TV, back in 1981, and I will never forget it. I don’t think Gordillo will either.
 
In one of his first actions during that game, the poor guy tried to pass the ball back to his keeper (one of the greatest in history, Ubaldo Matildo Fillol). He put the ball in the top corner, scoring one of the best looking, most heart breaking own goals I had ever seen…
 
I could never find any videos of it, though, but this week I got to watch a very similar one. It was during an Argentine Second Division game between Instituto (from Córdoba) and CAI (from the Southern city of Comodoro Rivadavia). Just watch and smile (or feel bad for the poor guy).
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
argentina
Si bien a mí me gusta hacer goles (a quién no!), me he sentido más cómodo jugando en defensa. Particularmente, como lateral, ya sea por izquierda o derecha. Si bien soy ‘oficialmente’ zurdo, soy prácticamente ambidiestro para todo. Eso no quiere decir que sea bueno, por supuesto!
 
Uno de mis jugadores favoritos del fútbol argentino de los 80’s era un defensor petiso y aguerrido llamado Jorge Gordillo, que jugó para Rivert Plate la mayoría de su carrera (recuerdo un paso breve por San Lorenzo). Yo ví su primer partido por televisión, allá por 1981, y no me lo voy a olvidar nunca. No creo que Gordillo se olvide tampoco.
 
En una de sus primeras acciones en ese partido, el pobre Gordillo trató de pasarle la pelota a su arquero (uno de los mejores de la historia, el gran Ubaldo Matildo Fillol). Puso la pelota en el ángulo superior izquierdo, en lo que fue uno de los más lindos y más tristes goles que yo haya visto…
 
Nunca pude encontrar videos de ese gol, pero esta semana pude ver uno muy similar. Fue en un partido de la Segunda División de Argentina entre Instituto (de Córdoba) y el CAI (de la sureña ciudad de Comodoro Rivadavia). Miren y sonrían (siéntanse mal por el pobre hombre).
 

2 comments:

  1. What the heck did the keeper try to do? Clear with a bicycle kick? // Qué cornos quiso hacer el arquero? Rechazarla de chilena?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un genio del defensor. Hay que ponerla en ese lugar con tanta tranquilidad.

    ReplyDelete